The Maison des Hommes Sourds is a non-profit organization founded in 2013 following the mobilization of Deaf men.
These Deaf men, the founders, saw a lack of resources in the greater Montreal area where deaf people could come together and obtain specialized services for psychological and relational well-being. They also realized that some Deaf people could experience discomfort in obtaining services with an interpreter, thereby hampering their request for help.
With great volunteerism, the founders set up the house to offer services to Deaf people who are going through difficult life situations, in the language of their choice. Since that time, other organizations in the Deaf community, including the Maison des Femmes Sourdes de Montréal, volunteers and administrators have combined their efforts to ensure the sustainability of the House and thus support Deaf men who are going through in terms of psychological and relational well-being.
The mission of the Maison des Hommes Sourds is to contribute to the psychological and relational well-being of Deaf, deaf and hard-of-hearing men by offering information, assistance and referral services by qualified speakers sensitive to the deaf culture and knowing Quebec Sign Language (LSQ), American SignLanguage (ASL) or French.
Our goals guide the day-to-day activities of the organization. We believe that to carry out our mission, it is important to work on different levels, without waiting for Deaf or deaf and hard of hearing men to present significant difficulties. Thus, we work as much for the Deaf or deaf and hard of hearing who have difficulties, as those who do not. We also aim to equip organizations and individuals to defend their needs.
Here are our goals
- 1. Promote the psychological and relational well-being of deaf and hard of hearing men.
- 2. Inform and support Deaf or deaf and hard of hearing men who are experiencing psychological or relational difficulties due to various life situations.
- 3. Increase accessibility to services that offer complementary expertise to that of the Maison des Hommes Sourds in terms of psychological and relational well-being.
- 4. Strengthen the sense of belonging and break isolation among Deaf or deaf and hard of hearing men.
- 5. Represent, promote and defend the needs and rights of Deaf or deaf and hard of hearing men.
- 6. Promote the participation of Deaf or deaf and hard of hearing men in the development of the activities of the organization.
- 7. Receive donations, legacies and other contributions of the same nature in cash, securities or real estate, administer such donations, legacies and contributions.
- 8. Organize fundraising campaigns to raise funds for charitable purposes.